13 September 2009

Back To The Classroom

Enrollment was fine. The usual start of term university chaos, which didn't seem so different than last time I was there. Except it really was quite organised chaos and technology meant that forms were filled in with an Advisor online, photo taken on webcam and a student card produced on the spot. No more running off to queue for the nearest passport photo booth!
The queues turned out to be a good place to meet most of the others on the DiTLLS course. A strange and diverse group of people, most of whom trouped off to the pub together after enrollment to start a team bonding process of sorts.
Hugh was probably the youngest, fresh out of his Psychology degree at the College, sweet and serious but an instant team leader as he knew his way round and the answer to most of our questions. He was a little shocked to find he was younger than both of my sons.
Then there was Jason. Big Jay, as he likes to be called, is big in every sense. Tall and 24+ stone in weight, as he boasted, he came across as confident, loud, in yer face and full of himself. In fact he's another writer with a couple of novels self-published and, having been made redundant from a high powered sales job in February, is now planning to become the best teacher ever in this new career. Almost certainly his super confident exterior hides a multiplicity of insecurities. Throughout the day I went through phases of liking/hating/liking/hating him, but ended up thinking he was intelligent, interesting and no doubt a catalyst for much discussion on the course.
Natalie was a stunning lovely, tall slim woman in her late thirties. An clothes designer with a three year old son and the irrational low self esteem of a first time mother returning to work, she and I took to each other immediately. In fact we became a strange little foursome, containing the youngest (Hugh), oldest (me), most attractive (Nat) and most ebullient (Jay) members of the course. More about the other four (and possibly more to appear on Monday) later.
Mike, our Course Leader facilitated our induction session in the afternoon. It was fine, reasonably enjoyable and showed us all how much work this "intensive" course is going to be. Within the first six weeks we have to do a "microteach" (here comes the jargon!) - in other words, a short lesson - for our course colleagues, on our chosen subject. Nat, who presents with confidence and clarity found this a terrifying proposition, but is probably even worried more about being able to cope with the academic side.
Our first assignment was to post something about our fears, expectations and aspirations on the college website. When I'd mastered the technical issues, such as having been given the wrong user name, this is what I posted:

CLASSROOM CHALLENGES
I was happy to meet everyone on Friday and find I'd be working with an interesting and diverse group of people. I came away from the Induction session slightly shell-shocked - not because I didn't enjoy it or it wasn't a good sessions, but perhaps something to do with....
FEAR: I've worked for myself and in my own space for a long time, and I've developed an effective (for me) learning/working style which involves taking processing breaks whenever I need them by doing mundane things like washing up or paying bills. I work in short bursts on elusive ideas, or without taking breaks when I'm really nailing something I want to say. I often stop and watch Neighbours at lunchtime (so does Philip Pullman!). I'm wondering how well I'll adapt to the classroom learning scenario with its more formal structure, ground rules and -- other people!
EXPECTATION: Despite that, or perhaps because of it, I'm looking forward to being thoroughly challenged this year; in taking on new ideas, new ways of working and reflecting on what I currently do and how I do it. Though I might initially react against some of the challenges.
ASPIRATION: I'm not big on predicting my own success - quite the opposite in fact - in case I fail. But if I'm honest, I really would like to meet my own and other people's expectations that I have it in me to be an inspirational sort of teacher, and also to do well on the course itself. I'd like to think that might start with the microteach which, at this distance, I find more exciting than frightening. This may change as it gets closer!

Actually, I'm most worried about getting a place in the student carpark tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment